The Dangers of Wireless: Wifi Radiation & Bluetooth Headphones
There’s no escaping the fact that wireless technology is becoming more prominent in our daily lives. From smartphones to wifi, wireless headphones and speakers, and now wireless phone charging, the
Let me tell you, the health risks are significant.
Take Bluetooth for example. Out of a total of 100 peer-reviewed scientific studies, 93 of them have found that low-intensity radiofrequency radiation (i.e. Bluetooth) damages our living cells through a process called oxidative stress.
This damage was found to have a high potential to cause both cancer and non-cancer related diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease.
If this is the first time you are learning that wireless technology such as Bluetooth headphones is bad for you, I’m actually not surprised. When it comes to wireless communications, there is simply zero protection safeguarding us.
This is part of the reason I do what I do. To empower us, as people and as consumers, to make choices that are better for our health.
Evidence of Wifi Radiation and Other Wireless Dangers
All wireless devices expose us to man-made Electromagnetic Fields, also known as EMF.
It’s important to note, these are not the only source of this man-made radiation, it’s present in our homes from the likes of microwave ovens, lights, smart meters, televisions, radios, and others. Even external sources like powerlines and radars can cause EMF to be present within our own homes. You can read more about EMF in the home here.
For this post though, wireless devices, particularly wifi and Bluetooth headphones are the focus. Mainly because these are things we use so regularly but which we can so easily hack to make our living environment healthier.
Finding this post useful? Pin it for later!
First, consider the fact that we are all electrical beings. Our body wouldn’t function if it wasn’t for the mild electrical currents that run through each and every cell of our being, keeping us alive.
Should our heart stop, it can be re-started using a surge of electrical current from a defibrillator.
Doctors can measure the electric field of our bodies using an ECG. It’s measured at 8-10 Hz per second or 8 to 10 waveforms per second.
Now, consider that every wireless device is actually a two-way microwave radio that sends and receives a type of non-ionising electromagnetic radiation called Radio Frequency Radiation.
This man-made radiation is millions of times higher than the natural electromagnetic fields our grandparents were exposed to.
Just sitting in your living room, you are most likely surrounded by wifi operating at 2.4Ghz. This means that you have 2.4 billion waveforms per second hitting your body! And now that so-called ‘smart’ dual-band modems have hit our living rooms operating at 5Ghz alongside the standard 2.4
Do you think that being subjected to frequencies like this is having a biological effect on our bodies?
Aside from being common sense, science proves it is.
As a result of credible evidence that linked long-term wireless exposure to brain cancer, in 2011 the International Association for Research on Cancer (IARC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) categorised wireless radiation as a ‘possible’ carcinogen; a cancer-causing substance.
Cancer aside, since the widespread growth in wireless communications in our homes and workplaces, a condition known as Electromagnetic Sensitivity (ES) or Electro-HyperSensitivity (EHS) has become a global phenomenon.
Those affected often need to leave their homes to live off-grid or have to make significant changes to their homes and lifestyles to stay put. Usually, there is ‘a straw that breaks the camel’s back’. It may be a new powerful router installed in the home or a digital smart meter. When these thresholds are reached sadly there’s usually no going back.
Current estimates in the global population are as follows:
- 30% of us are slightly affected by EMF (without realising the cause).
- 3-5% are moderately affected by EMFs and this is growing rapidly.
- 1% of the population is severely affected.
Typical health impacts of low-frequency EMF, the type emitted by wifi and other wireless devices, as published in scientific studies, include:
- headaches (tension or pressure on sides of head/temples)
- insomnia or sleep disturbance
- tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- cognitive impairment and brain fog
- heart arrhythmia or palpitations
- fatigue (e.g. chronic or adrenal fatigue)
- skin rashes (e.g. redness and/or burning sensation on the face/arms)
- vertigo or nausea
- anxiety, tension or agitation
- depression or mood disturbances
- Tourette’s Syndrome and Restless Leg Syndrome are exacerbated by EMF
So while the term wifi radiation may be associated with cancer risks first and foremost, there are a host of other health risks that come with the use of such technology.
How to Reduce Your Exposure to Wifi Radiation
The times we live in make it impossible to completely avoid wireless technology, particularly wifi.
However, the good news is there are actions you can take that will reduce your exposure to
- Set up a hard-wired cable broadband router using ethernet cables.
- If the above isn’t possible, keep your wifi router in a room that you do not use often.
- Turn your wifi router off at night and when not in use.
- Turn off both wifi and Bluetooth functions on any wireless devices unless in use.
- If you have a dual-band smart modem, ask your provider to turn off the 5
Ghzcomponent as this has much stronger signal strength.
- Avoid wifi and Bluetooth dongles.
- Avoid using wireless devices in your bedroom, especially at night.
- Never charge wireless devices next to your bed.
- Put your device into Airplane mode at night (your phone will still search for wifi even with the router turned off)
- Put your device into Airplane mode when travelling in a vehicle.
- Don’t use Bluetooth wireless headphones, instead, use air tubes (or speakerphone if talking) so there is no metal between your phone and the ear to increase the effect of EMF
- Avoid the use of Apple TV, Google Home, Alexa, Chromecast or at least unplug these when not in use.
Of course, every home and lifestyle is unique and wireless radiation is only one part of the EMF puzzle. Some of the recommendations require more detailed guidance on how to make improvements for your specific circumstance. If that’s the case, I’d love to help.
For those reading this blog from outside of Perth, Australia, I offer online consultations.
This blog post contains affiliate links, which means that if you buy one of the products I recommend through a link here, I earn a tiny commission. I only recommend products that I, myself, use. I will never recommend to you something that I haven’t tried and tested! Please feel free to send me a message if you want to know more about any of the products I share on the blog.
As we evolve to a 5G world, water and sunlight have never been more important. In this post I answer the question, why is water so important? Start reading
Waking up early might seem a struggle for some of us but the benefits of morning sun far outweigh the negative feeling of that alarm! Here’s why
Got a little one on the way? Or looking to decorate your child’s bedroom and want to make sure it’s a natural bedroom? Here’s how to go about it.